Thursday, October 15, 2009

Photography Challenge #7: "Octography" Mini-Challenge, Day 15


Day 15: Peabody Elementary

I have always been intrigued by the words over the side entrances at Peabody Elementary, one of my schools.
In the stone over the west entrance, it says "Boys".


Over the east entrance it reads "Girls".


The school was built in 1909, so I guess back then boys and girls were not allowed to enter through the same door. Its crazy to imagine kids from the beginning of the 20th century going to school in the same building where kids from the beginning of this century go to school today. Bet those walls would have some good stories.


I love lots of things about Peabody.
I love that it is right smack in the middle of a neighborhood; there are houses (cute little bungalow houses) literally right next to and across from it. Most of the kids walk to school and it really has a community feel.
I love the community where the school is located. Its an artsy kind of community, but not in a snobby way...the people there are real nitty-gritty. There are little art galleries and restaurants right down the street. They have festivals and "nights out", and the school is involved in those.
I love the history that the school has. It was named after Mr. Peabody, as in the Peabody Hotel. Last year, the Hotel brought the ducks to school one day for the kids to see. So neat!
And I must say, I love and am so thankful that I have a classroom to do therapy at this school! =) You can see it in the "Boys" picture...the windows (big glorious windows!) on the 3rd floor at the front of the building are my room! (Well, technically I share it with another teacher but we alternate days so it works!)
Edit: I forgot another thing I love about Peabody! Every morning after the morning rush, the crossing guard and a few other ladies hold hands in a circle and pray in front of the school. Makes me happy!

(What is Octography?)

1 comment:

Harms said...

Um you forgot the most charming thing about it--the fact you can hear lions roar and elephants tromp!!! STILL waiting for St. Louis!!