Maybe this is morbid, but I think cemeteries are so interesting! I especially love Elmwood Cemetery here in Memphis. It is one of the oldest cemeteries around (started before the Civil War in 1852) and has a lot of neat history. They have tours every so often led by costumed actors portraying some of the more famous residents.
Some Civil War graves
I got to see this cemetery a lot last year - one of my schools was located right next to it!
The website said that during the Victorian Era, the popular view of death became romanticized and death was now represented by angels, flowers, and plants. You can definitely see how that idea is reflected in the monuments and figures.
I really liked this quote by the photographer for Elmwood Cemetery, Marshall Hart: “Photographers are lovers of life. That’s why I love Elmwood Cemetery. It’s not about death, but rather about all the diverse incredible lives depicted here. Each visit reminds me that life is short, and encourages me to live each day to the fullest”.
No comments:
Post a Comment