Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Downtowner Magazine Photo Contest



Last night was the Downtowner Magazine photo contest reception. Since a contest is kind of like a "challenge" I guess I can put the pictures on here. =) The theme this year was "Memphis at Play". Here are my entries...

Memphis' Playground


Caption:
I took this picture last year at the MidSouth Fair, while holding on for dear life with my other hand! There is something magical about the fair that brings the city together; you can’t help but feel the excitement in the air when the fair is in town. I love this picture because you can almost feel the wind in your face, smell the funnel cakes and corn dogs, and hear the laughter of Memphis at play.




Memphis' Playground II (this one got honorable mention!) =)
Caption:
I took this picture last year at the MidSouth Fair. A walk down the fairway will reveal people from many different walks of life, yet there is a magical quality about the fair that brings people together no matter their age, race, or socioeconomic status. Seeing the flashing lights of the rides silhouetted against the sky, you can't help but feel like a kid at the biggest playground in town.
Here are my entries from the 2008 contest. The theme was "Uniquely Memphis." They both got honorable mention also, ha. =)

Driftwood Along the Mississippi

Caption:
I took this picture on the bank of the Mississippi River in Greenbelt Park on Mud Island. As I was walking along the river I came across this very interesting piece of driftwood.
This picture was taken in color but the black and white version seemed to better capture the varied textures of the scene. The knobby bumps on the driftwood contrast with its trunk made silky by the waters of the river. The gnarled yet smooth driftwood, the repeating shapes of the rocks, and the delicate tree branches contrast with the glassy water and cloudless sky. The iconic Hernando de Soto Bridge stands strong in the background. I couldn’t help but think that this simple piece of driftwood, so ordinary yet so intricate, is much like Memphis itself, truly unique.

Doggone Expensive!
Caption:
As I pulled into the Shell gas station one day on the corner of Auction and Main, I was greeted with this sight. The owner of the carriage had run into the convenience store and left his carriage tied next to a gas pump with his dog standing guard. There was quite a bit of head turning, amazed looks, and chuckling going on outside, as you can imagine!!


The dog seems to be saying: “Thank goodness we’ve gone ‘green’…this gas is doggone expensive!”

Whew...that was cheesy! =) I have to say, it was a lot of fun trying to find pictures that captures the essence of the city along the lines of a theme. It is also pretty neat to see your photos displayed! Last year they mounted the pictures and allowed us to keep them after they took them off display...I hope they do the same this year! They haven't announced the theme for the contest next year but I'll be waiting with my camera ready! =)

No comments: