Thursday, July 30, 2009

Photography Challenge #4: Patterns



Repeating elements are everywhere, just look around! A pattern adds interest and draws your eye through or around the frame of the picture. I have been noticing patterns everywhere lately so I decided to make capturing them on camera the next challenge! In a photo, patterns are often secondary to your subject but they can also be the subject. Here is a good article about photographing patterns.

I've been over to the country and at Ma and Pa's house this past week and there are TONS of interesting patterns to photograph around there! So that is where these pictures came from. Also, my uncle Joey generously let me borrow his sweet Nikon D40 and I have been loving it!!! I have been a pretty die-hard Canon fan until now...but I have to say...I think I just may be won over!

Pa's hats

A collection of vases in the garage window


Its blury but I love the busy pattern of the grass.

Garage wall

An example of emphasizing the pattern (all the repeating elements are the same).

An example of breaking the pattern (emphasis on the one element that is different in some way).

I found this cup of soap slivers in the backyard...a testament to the thinking that you don't let anything go to waste.


Rocks Ma collected from the country; cleaned and set out to dry.

Some patterns in nature.





Organized chaos in the kitchen in the country.


1 comment:

Harms said...

Loving the farm pics! You have such an eye to catch all the patterns-excellent job! You are so creative!