In our backyard at home in Florida we have a butterfly garden. It is always so neat to watch!
This is milkweed; it is the host plant for monarch caterpillars and nectar plant for monarch butterflies. It is called milkweed because if you break off a leaf, white sap comes out.
Here's an egg...see how tiny it is compared to my fingers? The butterflies lay them on the underside of the leaves.
How many caterpillars can you spot on this leaf?
When I zoomed in on this little guy you can see the way he starts to eat a hole in the leaf.
Isn't it so neat?? Almost a perfect circle!
2 comments:
WOW- you updated alot! The site looks great!!
I love the butterfly pictures, they are some of my favorite too! I still can't believe you captured it! Such a neat experience to watch unfold..
That is really neat! How long exactly did you have to sit there to watch the butterfly to catch it coming out of the cocoon?! :)
Post a Comment